This is a simple little breakfast to fuel your mornings. I absolutely love it. Overnight oats has quickly become my go to breakfast. Its so easy to put together and it is a perfect make ahead option.
This recipe has a good serving of Chia seeds. These little but powerful seeds have a mucilagenous property (kinda like okra) that helps in cleaning your gut. It does this by binding to the ‘dirt’ in your digestive tract vacuuming them out including the heavy metals! Not to mention it’s high protein and good fats content to fuel your morning and keep you fuller for longer. If you ask me Chia should be a staple in everyone’s breakfast menu.
I love that this recipe incorporates veggies! Courgettes are so full of dietary fiber, therefore overnight oats fills you up without the extra carbs!
Chocolate Zucchini Overnight Oats
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 tsp cacao powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cinammon
- 3/4 cup coconut milk (or almond milk)
- 1 tbsp honey
- Step 1 Grate the zucchini and place in a glass mason jar or bowl. It would be advisable to use a 500-600 mL jar so you have enough room to stir and add toppings.
- Step 2 Add the rolled oats, chia seeds, cacao and cinnamon to the zucchini.
- Step 3 Pour in the coconut milk and the maple syrup and stir everything until well combined.
- Step 4 Place the the fridge and leave overnight so the mixture thickens and the oats soften. In the morning, warm and sprinkle toppings of your choice.